What I'm Teaching
Spring 2017 | Math 322: Topology
Where I'll Be
- May 22 - 26, 2017
University of California, Irvine
- June 1 - 2, 2017
Strategic Optimization: Focusing Undergraduate Research to Maximize Scholarship in Applied Mathematics
Bryn Mawr College
- June 7 - 10, 2017
Curated courses in linear algebra
The Ohio State University
- June 18 - 24, 2017
Mathematics Research Community - Dynamical Systems: Smooth, Symbolic, and Measurable
- July 26 - 29, 2017
- July 30 - August 4, 2017
Current Trends in Dynamical Systems and the Mathematical Legacy of Rufus Bowen
University of British Columbia
What I'm Thinking About
One of my research interests involves the application of dynamical systems (uniformly hyperbolic, partially hyperbolic, symbolic) to mathematical physics. Specifically, I use dynamical techniques to investigate spectral properties of operators involved in the study of quasicrystals. I'm also interested in conducting numerical experiments related to the long-term behavior of several specific dynamical systems.
Another one of my research interests lies in number theory and integer sequences. Think of a number, now square the digits and sum that. What do you get? If you keep iterating this procedure, you will either end up at a 1 or a 4. If you end up at a 1, the number you started with is called a happy number. I study several generalizations of this procedure.
- J. Fillman and M. Mei,
Spectral Properties of the Continuum Schrödinger Operator, submitted.
- M. Mei and W. Yessen, Tridiagonal substitution Hamiltonians,
Math. Model. Nat. Phenom. 9 (2014), no. 5, 204-238. [arXiv:1312.2259]
- M. Mei, Spectra of discrete Schrödinger operators with primitive invertible substitution potentials,
J. Math. Phys. 55 (2014), no. 8, 082701, 22pp. [arXiv:1311.0954]
- B. Baker Swart, K. Beck, S. Crook, C. Eubanks-Turner, H. Grundman, M. Mei, and L. Zack, Fixed Points of Augmented Happy Functions,
to appear in the Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics.
- M. Mei and A. Read-McFarland, Numbers and the Heights of their Happiness, to appear in Involve.
- B. Baker Swart, K. Beck, S. Crook, C. Eubanks-Turner, H. Grundman, M. Mei, and L. Zack, Augmented Generalized Happy Functions,
Rocky Mountain J. Math. 47 (2017), no. 2, 403–417.